There are many team collaboration tools, Slack is the first that comes to mind. It is simple to use and in many ways awesome, but it has some drawbacks - privacy and cost. Some teams prefer to keep hands on their messages. And there is open-source alternative named Mattermost.
It is very easy to start using
Mattermost. You can use official Docker image:
docker run --name mattermost-preview -d --publish 8065:8065 mattermost/mattermost-preview
You can find more information in official documentation.
If you prefer canonical Docker way with one app per container, you can do this:
git clone https://github.com/mattermost/mattermost-docker.git cd mattermost-docker docker-compose up -d
Transferring from Slack
Mattermost you can import your team data from Slack:
Slack -> Team Settings-> Import/Export Data -> Export Mattermost -> Team Settings -> Import
Why would you choose Mattermost?
- It has Desktop and Mobile clients.
- You can use Markdown in messages.
- Slack-compatible webhooks.
- Non-English channel names for international teams.
- Tags in messages.
- Multi-Teams accounts.
- Privacy: your messages are not transferred anywhere else, they kept inside of the company.
- It is an open source project.
Also MatterMost was in Top 10 open source projects of 2015.